Memorial of the Most Holy Name of Mary: Sept. 12, 2007 Wednesday

Do you know what is one of the most frequently used words by children? 'Mama'. Little children know that whenever they utter ‘Mama,’ they get their needs met. My little niece Therese can yell ‘Mama’ from downstairs basement, and she’s quite confident that her mama will drop everything she’s doing and will come down where she is. My sister is only relieved to know that Therese is not hurt or in trouble.

Today is the Memorial of the Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In accordance with Jewish custom Our Lady’s parents named her eight days after her birth. The memorial of the Holy Name of Mary therefore follows that of her birthday, as the Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus follows Christmas. The feast originated in Spain and was approved by the Holy See in 1513. Pope Innocent XI extended its observance to the whole Church in 1683 in thanksgiving to Our Lady for the victory on September 12, 1683 by John Sobieski, king of Poland, over the Turks, who were besieging Vienna and threatening the West. This day was commemorated in Vienna by creating a new kind of pastry and shaping it in the form of the Turkish half-moon. It was eaten along with coffee which was seized from the invading Turks.

The Hebrew name of Mary (‘Domina’ in Latin) means lady or sovereign. This Mary is in virtue of her Son’s sovereign authority as Lord of the World. When we pronounce her name, we affirm her power, implore her aid and place ourselves under her protection. Most of the time because it’s too long to say ‘Blessed Virgin Mary’ or ‘Blessed Mother,’ I simply call out ‘Mama’ or ‘Mom.’ I know Heavenly Mother knows when I’m calling her and when I’m calling my earthly mom. And I call ‘Mom’ quite frequently especially in times of temptation and also right before giving homily (because giving homily is not a pleasant experience of mine). And I know when I utter ‘Mom,’ Heavenly Mother is right here with me with her heavenly angels and her Son. As much as I recommend for us to utter the Holy Name of Jesus, I would also recommend for us to utter the Holy Name of Mary, ‘Mom.’

Statue from the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche, St. Augustine, Florida
http://www.missionandshrine.org/la_leche.htm

Popular Posts