April 25, 2010: 4th Sunday Easter (C)


Click to preview 4-26-10-SundayHomily.mp3 (Click left to hear the audio homily)

Last Sunday, our school's second graders received their First Communion at a very special mass. The day prior to that, the kids had a wonderful retreat, and Fr. Miles spoke to them about communion. He received several questions, and he informed them that we should refrain from receiving communion if we have not fasted for one hour or if we have committed serious or mortal sin. He then advised the kids not to go into the coffee shop before mass and munch on donuts. This must caused deep moral dilema for the kids. Several tried to explain to Fr. Miles that there is a supply and demand factor that he should consider. You see if you came out after mass and tried to get donuts, there were only few left. To increase the chances of getting a donut, and perhaps even another one, it's better to get it before mass. Then a child asked, "Fr. Miles, what if I decide not to take communion. I can eat donuts before mass, right?" For this child, a donut tasted much better than Eucharist, hence was willing to forgo his First Communion.

At that special Sunday mass, there was something very beautiful about the way the kids all lined up with their Sunday best. The girls had beautiful white veils with white dresses, while the boys wore their suit and ties. Their hands were joined together, as if in prayer, and remained like that for the duration of the mass. As each came up to the sanctuary to receive the Eucharist, I wondered to myself, "I hope these kids will keep their faith in Jesus in the Eucharist when they grow older." A couple of kids when they received the Eucharist in their hands froze and did not know what to do as if they were in awe of who they were receiving. Fr. Miles had to remind them to place Jesus in their mouths.

As I looked back on what happened to my faith after my First Communion, I wondered what drew me away from my faith in Jesus in the Eucharist. As I have told numerous times, beginning in high school through college, I lost the sense that God existed in this world and lost the sense that God wanted to be near us through the Eucharist.And as I think about it, most of the things that I pursued, I really can't remember what they were. They were passing fancies, passing pleasures, and temporary distractions. In other words, they were the donuts that perplexed some of our First Communion kids who truly believed that the donuts were better than Eucharist. We adults laughed at the fact that kids would choose donuts over the Eucharist, but it's not really a laughing matter is it, because we adults have done it plenty of time. There always seems to be some kind of fancy 'donuts' with chocolate glaze or cream fillings that convince us that Eucharist is secondary. Somehow the passing fancies and pleasures and temporary distractions seem more compelling than the living and resurrected Jesus who longs to give himself to us every Sunday.

Yet, Jesus reminds us in the Gospel that we are like sheep. We know that sheep can follow well, yet also are good at wandering off and getting lost. Yet it is He who brings us back. He said, “My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand."

Is Eucharist truly important in our life? Can not a 'donut' be a good substitute sometimes? For Mother Teresa there could not be a 'donut' that could replace the Eucharist for it was the source of her strength. She said, “If we have our Lord in the midst of us—with daily Mass and Holy Communion, I fear nothing for the sisters or myself. Jesus will look after us. But without him I cannot be—I am helpless.” For Mother Teresa, the Eucharist was a living sign of God’s love and care for her. “When Jesus came into the world, he loved it so much that he gave his life for it. He wanted to satisfy our hunger for God. And what did he do? He made himself the Bread of Life. He became small, fragile and defenseless for us. Bits of bread can be so small that even a baby can chew it, even a dying person can eat it.”

During the homily at the First Communion mass, I asked the kids who they were receiving that no money can buy him at Walmart, Home Depot, Mall of Louisiana, Rave movie theaters, or iTunes store. And the kids answered, "Jesus." Then I turned around to the parents and asked, "Parents, can you remember whom you are receiving at mass?" They all answered, "Yes."

Popular Posts