Aug. 1, 2010: 18th Sunday Ordinary (C)


Click to preview 8-1-10Sunday-v1.mp3.mp3 Click to hear audio homily
A couple of weeks ago, a man called the office asking for a priest to come out to where he was and give him the Last Rites. I knew he meant the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick which is given to those who are ill. So I asked where he was, and he said he's at a detox center for alcohol. A couple of days later, I visited him there. I entered the building, and it had the look of a old hospital with the old hospital smell. It looked like a place where if you checked in, you won't get out. It must have taken him quite a courage to self-check himself in. As I waited for him to come out, I had some scenes from the reality TV show on A&E channel come to my mind. Many of you have seen or heard about the show Intervention on A&E channel. One scene from that show I remember was a mother of three children, who seemed to be in her forty's, was passed out in the front lawn of her house and her two children all under 12 were playing frisbee around her. It was a surreal scene. The children said in front of the camera, "I hate it when she drinks. I'm so embarrassed. I want my mom back." And that's the irony. The mother of these children, when she was sober said on camera, "I want to become the best mom for them. I hate it when I drink." Back at the waiting room, the man came out about 10 minutes later, and we had a good chat. What he wanted to be was the best husband and the best father, but his habit kept him from being one. After chatting, I asked him, "Would you like a tour of your end of life?" He was interested.

Recently, I purchased a couple of books on the experiences of the end of life. One book was written by a oncology radiologist who compiled a survey from people all around the world who had near-death experiences. Another book was written by a nurse who compiled deathbed visions of patients. Both of the books confirmed experiences that I gained as a priest the past two years, giving Last Rites to many folks. Some weeks I give as many as 4 or 5 Last Rites, especially when I visit hospitals, nursing homes, and hospices. The tour that I was about to share with that man in the detox was a based on my experiences, experiences of folks who have either deathbed visions and near-death experiences, the teachings of the Church on the afterlife, and teachings of our canonized saints. And reason I give "the tour" is, when we know what happens to us at the end of our life, we will live our life differently because of our renewed awareness. Isn't it a tragedy that we live our life as though we don't know what happens in the end? It's so tempting to live our life as though God has nothing to do with each moment of our lives. So God reminds us through the First Reading:
 "Vanity of vanities!  All things are vanity!
Here is one who has labored with wisdom and knowledge and skill, and yet to another who has not labored over it, he must leave property. This also is vanity and a great misfortune. For what profit comes to man from all the toil and anxiety of heart with which he has labored under the sun? All his days sorrow and grief are his occupation; even at night his mind is not at rest. This also is vanity." 
Likewise, Our Lord exhorts us to not to fall into temptation of treasuring things of the earth. 


“Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.”

I told him at the end of his life, on his death bed, that he’ll experience several things. These are the common elements that oncology radiologist found from over 1,500 near-death surveys. First, there is a out-of-body experience where soul experiences being apart from his body. Second, the soul passes through a tunnel. And coming out of that tunnel, the soul encounters mystical and bright light. Many encounter the Lord himself. Some recognize him as Jesus; some who were not Christian recognize that the being in front of them is one who created them. Lord then shows them the movie or the review of their life. As I was telling all this to the man at detox, he let out a big sigh when I mentioned the review of the movie of his life. I said to him, “As many near-death folks described, they reviewed the movie not from their own perspective, but from the Lord’s. And as they saw the movie, they also felt the hurt and pain that they have inflicted on others. I told him, “Each moment of our life is a call. Our Lord calls us to be his love in action, to make flesh his love, to make him incarnate through us by our action. So, each moment of our lives is about serving Our Lord.” I noticed that man put his head down and sensed a great regret. I finished hearing his confession and gave him absolution, along with the Anointing of the Sick. He got up and said, “Father, you gave me much to think about while I’m here. Thanks.” As I left the detox center, I could not help wonder how many men and women are here at the detox center, hoping for a change from the way of life they have led so far. 

Now with this in mind, St. Paul's message to us in the Second Reading really makes sense: 
"Brothers and sisters: If you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Think of what is above, not of what is on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God...Put to death, then, the parts of you that are earthly: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and the greed that is idolatry. Stop lying to one another, since you have taken off the old self with its practices
and have put on the new self, which is being renewed, for knowledge, in the image of its creator."

Popular Posts