July 10, 2011: 15th Sunday of Ordinary Time (A)

Click to hear audio homily
I remember as a child, accompanying my mom on her shopping trips to department stores in Seoul, Korea. One particular time as we were walking on the street between stores, I heard a man on a megaphone yelling out something. There where he was standing was a large sign in Korean which read, "Jesus saves!" and people were busily walking past him and continuing toward clothing shops. The tone of his voice was angry, and as a child who didn't know much about Jesus yet, I was afraid to get near the preacher. That encounter with the preacher was a very different experience compared to what I recall feeling when I went to mass as a child, where I often took naps on my mom's lap. The electric organ played softly in the background, there was much silence between the exchanges between the priest and the congregation, and there I felt peace.  


There is something about gentleness and silence that invites the Prince of Peace into our hearts. People have said to me, "Father, I try to pray, but the first thing that happens is that I fall asleep." The first thing that I tell them is that God thanks them for trying to pray because He knows that it took a great sacrifice of time, away from our phones, Internet, our TV, our distractions in attempts to speak to Him. Secondly, I remind them of what one of our greatest saints, St. Therese of Lisieux, nicknamed the Little Flower, said about falling asleep in prayer. She said it was natural for a little child to feel so safe and loved in their Father's arms that they slip into sleep. She said we should feel blessed that our Heavenly Father loves us so much and we should continue to be as a little child in his arms. She said we should continue to trust him to never lead us astray.
Sometimes, trusting our Heavenly Father like a little child can be difficult. Last Sunday, I went to a hospice to visit a lady who was dying and I asked her, "Are you afraid or fearful of anything?" She replied, "Father, I'm afraid. I don't know why, but I'm afraid at times, about dying." I said, "When we know what happens at the end of our life, then we may not be afraid as much." Then I told her about the experience of persons who have been to heaven through near-death-experiences. Many said that they felt complete peace and unconditional love envelop them. Many encountered Jesus, the Prince of Peace, and were no longer afraid of death after encountering Him.


When visiting with the dying, especially those who feel agitated and fearful, I am amazed at how the reading of Psalm 23 comforts them and brings them peace. 



The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; 
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness 
for His name's sake. 


Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I fear no evil; 
for You are with me; 


Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 



Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; 
and I shall dwell in the house of the 

Lord forever. 



If these divinely inspired words can bring calm and peace to a troubled soul at the time of the most difficult challenge of life--our death--think then how the Word of God can bring calm and peace into our busy, distracted, and disjointed lives. Jesus pointed out in the Gospel today, "The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word, but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word and it bears no fruit. But the seed sown on rich soil is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold." 


There are many distractions in our daily lives and we can easily be lured by worldly ways that will lead us to dry, rocky ground. We must want to be on good soil, which means that we must take the time to read and understand the scriptures and to speak to the Father, Son, and Spirit through prayer.  How many of us feel that dryness inside of us? And how many of us would like the gentle raindrops of the Word of God to refresh us everyday. All it takes is silence and desire. 

Popular Posts