Feb. 21, 2012 Tuesday: Divine Mercy Mass

Several years ago, a group of seminarians including myself, were on a 5-week Spanish Immersion experience at a Mexican university along with more than a hundred students from various American universities. We seminarians were housed on the same floor, and we prayed together and went to mass together. Meanwhile, students from other universities were enjoying freedom from their parents; I said to my roommate, “They checked their morality at the airport.” One of the seminarians shared a dream he had that night. In his dream, he saw Blessed Mother crying. He asked, “Why are you crying, Mama?” She replied, “My children are hurting themselves and they do not know it.”

Have you ever imagined that our sins could make our heavenly Mother cry? Last Tuesday, I mentioned in the homily how precious we are to Heavenly Father because each of us is one of a kind and irreplaceable. Jesus told St. Faustina how He sees each of us. He said, “How dear your soul is to Me! I have inscribed your name upon My hand; you are engraved as a deep wound in My Heart (Diary #1485).” Despite Jesus’ attempts at getting closer to us, what do we do? We run away. Our weakness and sinfulness scare us, or worse, we go on hurting ourselves thinking we are beyond help. Yet Jesus does not give up on us. He told St. Faustina, “Be not afraid of your Savior, O sinful soul. I make the first move to come to you, for I know that by yourself you are unable to lift yourself to Me. Child, be willing to talk openly with your God of mercy who wants to speaks words of pardon and lavish His graces on you.” (Diary #1485)

Jesus tells us that His love is greater than our failings, our mistakes, and our sins. He asks us to not trust in ourselves, but to trust Him to bring peace to our troubled souls.

Popular Posts