March 18, 2016 Friday: 5th Week of Lent

March 18, 2016 Friday: 5th Week of Lent

Trusting in All Times

In my distress I called upon the Lord and cried out to my God; From his temple he heard my voice and my cry to him reached his ears. –Psalm 18: 7

A man was agitated driving down the street because he had an important meeting and couldn’t find a parking space. Looking up to heaven, he said, “Lord take pity on me. If you find me a parking space, I promise to go to church every Sunday for the rest of my life and give up swearing.” Miraculously, a spot opened right in front of the building. The man looked up and said, “Never mind. I found one” (Readers Digest).

How often we pray to God when we are in need. How pious we become in distress or trouble. And how quickly we forget God when things are going well. Maybe that is why God allows challenges in our life; it may be the only time God hears from us. There is nothing wrong about praying when in need; in fact it is a blessed thing. Yes, pray to God when in distress, but don’t forget him in your joy.

Dear God, I am most grateful that you are there to help me. Who else do I have but you? But I don’t only want to know you when I am in trouble. I want to talk to you in all the seasons of my life. I pray that you will be there in my distress, but also that I may recognize you in my blessings. Amen.

-Fr. Thomas Connery, Lent Little by Little

Popular Posts