Nov. 22, 2020: Christ the King - Year A

Nov. 22, 2020: Christ the King -  Year A

Audio Homily:  https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=16906253


During the school mass this past week, our students were given a simple assignment to answer two questions, “What is one good thing for which you are grateful? And, what is one bad thing for which you are grateful?” The purpose of the exercise was to recognize that when we are grateful even for the “bad things” in life, we become aware of the good things we didn’t notice before. Some of the good things the students mentioned were: family, friends, food, dog, a warm bed to sleep in, a roof over my head, and God. Then they responded with the bad things: my arm brace because I have to wear it to heal my broken arm; my mask because it keeps me and others safe; we can't eat lunch in the cafeteria, but we do get to watch a movie while we eat; COVID, because when me and my family were quarantined, it was actually fun to have some quality time with them; I’m thankful for all the mistakes I made so that I can do it right the next time. 

One of the teachers facing medical issues in the family shared: “I am thankful for the cross that God has given me and my husband; this journey has allowed me to grow in faith and strengthen my relationship with God. It has taught me to trust and surrender.” The teacher’s reflection reminded me of St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans, “We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ...and we boast in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope, and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us.” (Rom 5:2-6) 

Only Christ can bring peace into our lives even when things are in upheaval, for Christ’s kingdom dwells within the human heart. The reign of Christ the King is very different from how the world understands about power, leadership, authority, and strength.  All earthly leaders have fallen short of their promises and caused problems for their people. They promise that they’ll fix all the things that are wrong with the country and world and all the mistakes that their predecessors made. Yet we have been disappointed time and time again by their failures and self-serving intentions. In contrast, Christ is the Servant King who is like a vigilant, compassionate shepherd who desires to care for the lost sheep: “As a shepherd tends his flock… so will I tend my sheep. The lost I will seek out, the strayed I will bring back, the injured I will bind up, the sick I will heal…” (EZ 34:11-12, 15-17) Christ calls each of us to continue the work that he has begun on earth, to be an instrument of mercy to others, “For I was hungry and you gave me food. I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.” We need this reminder, that we will be judged on our deeds of mercy. It is never too late to decide to serve Christ the King; we must decide today whether we will serve the Lord or we will serve ourselves. 


For many years, Henry Covington lived for himself alone. He started his life in the New York housing projects. From early on, he was shackled by various kinds of addiction, spending much time in jail, and out in the streets. Oftentimes he was homeless and alone; he experienced what it was like to have nothing and go hungry. On Easter Sunday 1987, he said, “the Lord showed His mercy on me by delivering me from this path that I was recklessly pursuing--a path that was leading to my own destruction.” He dedicated his life to the Lord and became a pastor of a small church in Detroit called, “I am My Brother’s Keeper Ministries.” In the 130 year-old Presbyterian church which had fallen into severe disrepair including a giant gaping hole in the roof, Reverend Covington provided food, clothing, and shelter to the city’s homeless. On freezing nights, 80 or 90 people slept inside that church, fed by its kitchen, and warmed by the spirituality of the heavyset pastor with the sweet voice and easy laugh. Rev. Covington said, “No. You can't work your way into heaven. Anytime you try and justify yourself with works, you disqualify yourself with works. What I do here, every day, for the rest of my life, is only my way of saying, 'Lord, regardless of what eternity holds for me, let me give something back to you. I know it doesn't even no scorecard. But let me make something of my life before I go.. and then, Lord, I'm at your mercy.” When asked about the key to happiness Rev. Covington said, “Having more does not keep you from wanting more. And if you always want more - to be richer, more beautiful, more well known - you are missing the bigger picture, and I can tell you from experience, happiness will never come… Be satisfied. Be grateful for what you have, for the love you receive, and for what God has given you.” 


Rev. Covington summarized well the point of today’s Gospel. Whatever good we do is a response to undeserved gifts we received from Jesus. The good we do as we approach Thanksgiving and Christmas, by purchasing items for the poor, delivering meals to the elderly, writing checks to organizations that help the needy, must not remain as items on a  “to do” list. Our acts of mercy must lead to lasting transformation of our hearts and systemic changes to our society--making policy changes that improve living conditions, fair wages, affordable housing and equitable healthcare. Our acts of mercy cannot be performed for a momentary “feel good.” It is our duty as sons and daughters of God to be merciful just as Our Father in Heaven is merciful to us. On our judgment day, do we want Our Lord asking us about the way we have ignored the plight of the needy, “ 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’


Let us also ponder the two questions the children were asked. What is a good thing and what is a bad thing for which you’re grateful? Let us be grateful then for what we have, for the love we receive, and for what God has given us. Let us make something of our lives before we leave this earth; using this short life in giving back to God. When we gaze upon the Crucifix, we are reminded that Christ gave his very life, mercy, and love so that we may live eternally with Our King. 

Popular Posts