May 10, 2010: Funeral of Ulysse "June" Fontenot


The day before June passed away, I was there in the room where he was sitting and taking a nap on a chair. I looked around and saw that there were many old panorama photos on the wall. They were photos of service men during WWII whom June belonged to. In each photo were hundreds of men lined up in their uniforms. I wondered to myself, 'Where is June?' and  his wife Mary said she marked her husband with a red dot, but still she had a hard time finding where he was. Looking at the photos of these men, you can appreciate that these men sacrificed better part of their youth and even their lives to be in an uncertain war. When Mary told me that June would fuss at people who leave out their American flag in the rain or when their flags were in tatters, I understood why he would be so upset, looking at the photos of these men. I've seen a photo of military cemetery for WWII soldiers, and the sight of endless crosses dotting the grass gives you an enormous sense of the cost of sacrifice.

His wife, Mary tells me that June was a man who never complained, especially about pain. He kept to himself if there was pain at all. Only when it got unbearable, he let her know. In his case, it was too late when he let her know. It was his way to to show how much he loved his wife and children by not letting them worry about how much he was suffering. Perhaps for June, he knew that his suffering and sacrifice was not in vain. The Letter of St. Paul to the Timothy from our reading today is very appropriate:


I, for my part am already being poured out like a libation.
The time of my dissolution is near.
I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith.


From Now on a merited crown awaits me;
On that day the Lord,
just judge that he is,
will award it to me and not only to me,
but to all who have looked for his appearing with eager longing.


As I leaned over to his chair, I laid my hand on his head and prayed the prayer of commendation for the soul. My hand was on a soul who spent most of his life giving of himself, and learned to sacrifice to love, like Our Lord who created him. I want to leave you with beautiful words of this commendation, for this is what Our Lord desires for all the souls.


I commend you, my dear brother, to almighty God,
and entrust you to your Creator.
May you return to him
who formed you from the dust of the earth.
My holy Mary, the angels, and all the saints 
come to meet you as you go forth from this life.
May Christ who was crucified for you
bring you freedom and peace.
May Christ who died for you
admit you into his garden of paradise.
May Christ, the true Shepherd,
acknowledge you as one of his flock.
May he forgive all your sins,
and set you among those he has chosen.
May you see your Redeemer face to face, 
and enjoy the vision of God for ever.
Amen.   

Popular Posts