Nov. 21, 2010 Sunday: Christ the King, "Holiness"

The following talk on "Holiness" was given on Nov. 17 for Marian Servants at St. George.

Click to hear audio of the talk


Mother Teresa: No Greater Love – On Being Holy

Opening Prayer
Offering of myself as a Victim of Holocaust to God's Merciful Love (St. Therese of Lisieux)

O My God! Most Blessed Trinity, I desire to Love You and make You Loved, to work for the glory of Holy Church by saving souls on earth and liberating those suffering in purgatory. I desire to accomplish Your will perfectly and to reach the degree of glory You have prepared for me in Your Kingdom. I desire, in a word, to be a saint, but I feel my helplessness and I beg You, O my God! to be Yourself my Sanctity!

In the evening of this life, I shall appear before You with empty hands, for I do not ask You, Lord, to count my works. All our justice is stained in Your eyes. I wish, then, to be clothed in Your own Justice and to receive from Your Love the eternal possession of Yourself. I want no other Throne, no other Crown but You, my Beloved!

In order to live in one single act of perfect Love, I OFFER MYSELF AS A VICTIM OF HOLOCAUST TO YOUR MERCIFUL LOVE, asking You to consume me incessantly, allowing the waves of infinite tenderness shut up within You to overflow into my soul, and that thus I may become a martyr of Your Love, O my God!

Introduction
Several years ago, when I was still a seminarian, I dropped by Mother Teresa sisters at St. Agnes to say hi. The sisters then whisked me to the CCD classrooms and asked me to say hi to the kids. Then, a sister said, “Brother Paul, we’re missing a catechist for 8th grade, would you sub in the class?” I said hesitantly, “Yes.” Once in the class, I asked what the topic of the day was, and they said, “Holiness.” So on the blackboard, I wrote two names. On one side, I wrote, ‘Mother Teresa’ and on the other, I wrote, ‘Madonna’ (the pop star) Then I said to the kids, “Do you think the word ‘holy’ fits Mother Teresa?” All the kids answered, “Yes.” Then I asked, “Do you think the word ‘holy’ fits Madonna?” All the kids laughed and said, “No.” Then I asked, “So what is holiness?”  The kids hesitated. It is easy to identify a person who is holy, yet difficult to describe what holiness is.

I could have listed another name on that board like, ‘Princess Diana.’ If you remember on August 31, 1987, Princess Diana was killed in a car accident in Paris. She was only 36 years old. For weeks, we saw on TV how mountain of flowers and tributes were showered on her death. A week later, on September 5, Mother Teresa of Calcutta died. Yet her death was overshadowed by the continuing coverage of the death of Princess Diana. If I asked you, “Do you think the word ‘holy’ fits Princess Diana” how would you answer? We know she did numerous humanitarian works all over the world. We know she was kind and gentle woman. Why do we hesitate to use the word, ‘holy’ with Princess Diana?

Now suppose on the board, I write ‘Mother Teresa’ on one side and your name on the other side. Do you think the word ‘holy’ fits your name? Are you hesitating? Do you not go to mass frequently like Mother Teresa? Do you not do the works of charity like Mother Teresa? Mother Teresa went to confession every week. How often do you go to confession? Monthly? It must mean that she has more sins to confess than you do, right?

Humility
If Mother Teresa were to be asked to write her name on one side, who would she write on the other side? Jesus. And what would she say about herself? She would say, “I am not holy. Only He is holy.” If we want to understand how to be holy, the very foundation of holiness is humility—knowing that only Jesus is holy, and we are only channels of His holiness. So Mother Teresa said,

·      We should not be concerned with the instrument God uses to speak to us, but with what God is saying to us. I'm just a little pencil in His hand. Tomorrow, if He finds somebody more helpless, more hopeless, I think He will do still greater things with her and through her.

·      To become holy we need humility and prayer. Jesus taught us how to pray, and He also told us to learn from Him to be meek and humble of heart. Neither of these can we do unless we know what silence is. Both humility and prayer grow from an ear, mind, and tongue that have lived in silence with God, for in the silence of the heart God speak.

Humility and Silence
Do you remember one of her simple sayings?
“The fruit of silence is prayer. The fruit of prayer is faith. The fruit of faith is love. The fruit of love is service. The fruit of service is peace.” We all had a time when we had a period of peace, and all of a sudden, we lose that peace; we go from order to disorder. In order to regain that peace, we try everything, except the one thing we need to try. An analogy I can think of is driving a standard transmission car on a highway. As you cruise on the highway at 70 miles per hour, all of a sudden you see a line of cars not moving and you hit the breaks; this happens everyday if you drive eastbound on I-12 toward Denham Springs. When we lose peace, it’s like our car going from 70 miles down to a crawl. And if you have a standard transmission, you have to downshift to the first gear to make your car start moving again. The moment we lose peace, we should not be downshifting to doing more service activities. Mother Teresa suggests downshifting all the way down to silence, in order to build back up prayer, then faith, then love, then service, and ultimately, peace. So Mother Teresa said,

·      Let us really take trouble to learn the lesson of holiness from Jesus, whose heart was meek and humble. The first lesson from this heart is an examination of our conscience, and the rest--love and service--follow at once.

·      Examination is not our work alone, but a partnership between us and Jesus. We should not waste our time in useless looks at our own miseries, but should lift our hearts to God and let His light enlighten us.

One of the prayers that Mother Teresa prayed frequently was the Litany of Humility. I recommend all of us to pray this daily, for I have found it to be one of the most effective ways of Examination of Conscience. It was composed by Cardinal Rafael, the Secretary of State for the Holy See under Pope Pius X. It’s divided into three-parts.
First part asks us to set aside our attempts to make ourselves feel “special” through the acceptance and admiration of others. Second part asks us to overcome our repugnance to feeling emotionally hurt by others. The last part asks us to seek the good of others in all things, setting aside all competition, even at our own expense.
I will read it slowly, and I will ask you to respond to each of the litany.

Litany of Humility
(Cardinal Rafael Merry del Val, d1930)

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten,  Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus grant me the grace to desire it.

How many times have we tried to make ourselves feel “special” through the acceptance and admiration of others? How many times have we avoided doing something because we feared being hurt by others. And how many times have we failed to seek the good of others, especially when we were overcome by envy, jealousy, and pride.  By praying this Litany daily, we are asking God to give us the grace to overcome these temptations.

I Thirst
In the chapels of Mother Teresa’s sisters all around the world, there is a very succinct sentence that Jesus spoke that is affixed next to the crucifix, ‘I Thirst.’ The one great secret of Mother Teresa’s soul was the mystery of Jesus’ thirst. Thirst for her signifies deep, intense desire. As Fr. Joseph Langford says in his book about Mother Teresa, “The divine thirst points to the mystery of God’s freely chosen longing for man. Simply put, though nothing in God needs us, everything in God wants us—deeply and intensely.” In the depth of the mystery of who God is as Trinity, we see “the depths of God’s infinite longing to love and be loved.” Mother Teresa said in one of her letters to her sisters, “the closer you come to Jesus, the better you will know His thirst…Whenever we come close to Him—we become partners of Our Lady, St. John, Magdalen.” So what does it mean to be holy? After receiving the fruits of silence and prayer, we possess in the depths of our heart this very thirst of God for souls within us, which propels us to love and to serve. This is being the channel of God’s holiness. Mother Teresa said,

·      I have the impression that the passion of Christ is being relived everywhere. Are we willing to share in this passion? Are we willing to share people's sufferings, not only in poor countries but all over the world? It seems to me that this great poverty of suffering in the West is much harder to solve. When I pick up some starving person off the street and offer him a bowl of rice or a piece of bread, I can satisfy his hunger. But a person that has been beaten or feels unwanted or unloved or fearful or rejected by society experiences a kind of poverty that is much more painful and deep. The cure is much more difficult to find.
·      People are hungry for God. People are hungry for love. Are we aware of that? Since we cannot see Christ, we cannot express our love to Him. But we do see our neighbor, and we can do for him what we would do for Christ if He were visible. Let us be open to God, so that He can use us. Let us put love into action. Let us begin with our family, with our closest neighbors. It is the individual that is important to us. In order to love a person, one must come close to him or her.

Back when I was a seminarian serving at Our Lady of Mercy, I used to help with communion service at a nursing home. I befriended a volunteer in her 80s who organized the communion service and some of the social events there. She told me that 20 years ago her mother was placed in that nursing home. Every time she came to visit her mother, she saw those sad, abandoned faces sitting near the entrance of the nursing home waiting for their children who seldom came to visit. After her mother died, she continued to come because she had the desire in her heart to serve those elderly like her own mother. She had in her heart God’s thirst for these souls.

This call to holiness is nothing but God’s call for us to be transformed into the image and likeness of His Son. Mother said,
·      The perfect will of God for us: You must be holy. Holiness is the greatest gift that God can give us because for that reason He created us. Submission, for a person who loves, is more than a duty; it is the secret of holiness.

·      Saint Francis said each one of us is what he is in the eyes of God--nothing more, nothing less. We are all called to be saints. There is nothing extraordinary about this call. We all have been created in the image of God to love and to be loved.

·      "It is God's will that you grow in holiness" (1 Thessalonians 4:3). His Sacred Heart is filled with an insatiable longing to see us advance toward holiness.

·      We cannot be renewed without the humility to recognize what needs to be renewed in ourselves.

This transformation into the image and likeness of Jesus involves us following Our Lord’s Way of the Cross. Mother said,

·      Don't be afraid. There must be the cross, there must be suffering, a clear sign that Jesus has drawn you so close to His heart that He can share His suffering with you. Without God we can spread only pain and suffering around us.

We think of suffering as something coming from outside of us. But the deeper suffering is of denying our will to make room for God’s Will. Mother said,
·      We all long for heaven where God is, but we have it in our power to be in heaven with Him right now, to be happy with Him at this very moment. But being happy with Him now means loving like He loves, helping like He helps, giving as He gives, serving as He serves, rescuing as He rescues, being with Him twenty-four hours a day, touching Him in His distressing disguise.

·      Jesus is going to do great things with you if you let Him, and if you don't try to interfere with Him. We interfere with God's plans when we push in someone or something else not suitable for us. Be strict with yourself, and then be very strict with what you are receiving from the outside. People may come with wonderful ideas, with beautiful things, but anything that takes you away from the reality of what you have given to God must remain outside.

We will be constantly tempted to choose our will over God’s. As Padre Pio said, “The life of a Christian is nothing but a perpetual  struggle against self; there is no flowering of the soul to the beauty of its perfection except at the price of pain.” Mother said,

·      Let us ask our Lord to be with us in our moments of temptation. We must not be afraid, because God loves us and will not fail to help us. Hence, have a deep reverence for our own person; reverence for others, treating all with accepted marks of courtesy, but abstaining from sentimental feelings or ill-ordered affections.

·      How unlike Him we are. How little love, little compassion, how little forgiveness, how little kindness we have. We are not worthy to be so close to Him--to enter His heart. Let us find out what part of His body is wounded by our sins. Let us not go alone but put our hands in His. Our Father loves us. He has given us a name. We belong to Him with all our misery, our sin, our weakness, our goodness. We are His. Our way of life depends on our being rooted in Christ Jesus our Lord by our deliberate choice.

Do you know what age Mother Teresa began her work in the slums? When she was 40 years old! She had been a Loreto Sister for over 20 years as a teacher. Then God began calling her in her midlife. She felt the tug, but she was frightened. She wrote in her diary, “I am so afraid.—This fear shows me how much I love myself.—I am afraid of the suffering that will come—through leading that Indian life [of the poor], clothing like them, eating like them, sleeping like them—living with them and never having anything my way. How much comfort has taken possession of my heart.” She argued with God, “My own Jesus—what You ask it is beyond me […] I am unworthy—I am sinful—I am weak—Go, Jesus and find a more worthy soul, a more generous one.”

Mother Teresa was not unlike the rest of us, as we struggle to answer the promptings of grace that nudges us beyond ourselves. Unfortunately, when faced with new challenges our first response is often negative, as we listen instead to the voice that insists we cannot change. Like Mother Teresa, when faced with God’s unexpected invitations, we find ourselves held back by fear, fatigue, tepidity, and a reluctance to take on new challenges. And we pull back. Mother Teresa showed us, though, that despite our struggles it is never too late to change, to grow, to say yes to the God who calls. Mother said, “Give yourself fully to God. He will use you to accomplish great things, on the condition that you believe much more in his love than in your own weakness.”

We began this talk with names on a black board—names of Mother Teresa, Madonna, Princess Diana, and your own name. And I asked you whether the word ‘holy’ fits with these names. Whereas most of us would ascribe the word ‘holy’ only with Mother Teresa, Mother Teresa herself would say that there is only one person who fits that word, Jesus. Mother Teresa urges us to thirst for souls like Jesus, to bear suffering like Jesus, and to love like Jesus. She said,
·      The work of moral rearmament is carried out with discretion and love. The more discrete, the more penetrating it will be. You give it to others, and it is they who absorb it.

If we had to ask her, “Mother Teresa, can you summarize for me in less than three paragraphs, how I should live a life of holiness,” she would reply,

·      [First], we shall instruct by the power of the example of our lives lived entirely in and with Jesus Christ our Lord, bearing witness to the truth of the gospel by our single-minded devotion to and burning love of Christ and His Church, and also by verbal proclamation of the Word of God fearlessly, openly, and clearly, according to the teaching of the Church, whenever opportunity offers.

·      [Second], we shall sustain the tempted by our prayer, penance, and understanding love, and when opportunity offers, also by enlightening and encouraging words. We shall befriend the friendless and comfort the sick and sorrowful by our real love and personal concern for them, identifying ourselves with them in their pain and sorrow and by praying with them for God's healing and comfort and by encouraging them to offer their sufferings to the Lord for the salvation of the whole world.

·      [Third], we shall bear wrongs patiently by offering no resistance to the wicked. If anyone hits us on the right cheek we shall turn the left also; if anyone takes away anything from us, we shall not try to get it back. We shall forgive injuries by seeking no revenge but returning good for evil, by loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us and blessing those who curse us. 

Popular Posts