Jan. 1, 2012: Mary Mother of God




Do you ever ponder whether you are a part of something greater than yourself, that you are not just an isolated existence, but a part of a grand scheme? I pondered about that during Christmas masses when I elevated infant Jesus to show him to the congregation before laying him in the crib and when I elevated the consecrated host and chalice. Many of you remember that I sang the phrase,"O Come let us adore Him, O come let us adore Him...Christ The Lord" during those times. How is it that I, a former atheist, am now proclaiming the birth of Jesus as a Catholic priest? How is it possible that God uses crooked lines and detours to draw a straight line?

Blessed Mother must have pondered similarly on that night when the shepherds came to see her newborn baby and told her about the message of the angels that a Savior and Messiah has been born. When she was asked to become the mother of the Messiah at the Annunciation, her faith enabled her to give a humble and generous response, even though she did not fully understand how she was going to be part of God's grand plan. And on this Solemnity of Mary Mother of God, we are to ponder how this heavenly mother is asking us to trust God's direction in our lives, for each of us is part of intricate plan of God.

When I was reading the letters written by this year's confirmation candidates explaining why they chose their confirmation name, I came accross one letter that expressed very well one person's trust in God's direction in her life. The candidate wrote: "After carefully considering a confirmation name, I chose Mary the mother of all God's children. The Blessed Mother, Mary, has been instrumental in my life even when I was conceived. She is constantly present in my life on earth, and her love, guidance, and protection have seen me through difficulties in my life. My mother reminds me often that I was sent as a special blessing from Mary, and that I was held in her arms before she gave me to my parents." She wrote how because of her dad's cancer earlier in his life, her mom and dad could not conceive. Her mother spent many hours in the adoration chapel with a Rosary in her hands, imploring Blessed Mother to intercede. In all her prayers, her mother asked Blessed Mother to send her a baby. One night, what seemed like a dream, Blessed Mother appeared at the side of her mother's bed. She asked Blessed Mother to please send her a baby. At that point her mother had a sensation that she has been unable to describe but felt that that she was filled with the Holy Spirit. Two weeks later the doctors verified that she was expecting her first born. The candidate wrote, "To this day, my mother often tells me that I have two mothers. That Mary was my mother before I began my journey on earth. My mother believes that the Blessed Mother continues to watch over me especially when my mother can't. I know in my heart that I have a special place for Blessed Mother, and I know she is always with me."

This story demonstrates how one woman turned to and trusted Blessed Mother so that she too could experience being a mother. But the one who truly answers prayers is Our Lord Himself; when we turn to Blessed Mother, she always points us to her Son, for whom, nothing is impossible. In my own life, I came to realize in my early twenties Blessed Mother is my mother who guided me to her Son. As I strayed away from our faith in my youth, my mother held her Rosary, praying to Blessed Mother to guide me back. My own mom suffered and agonized over the direction her son was going; and Blessed Mother comforted and consoled her, giving her hope. Blessed Mother, who stood with her Son on Calvary, knew all too well what it was like to watch a son suffer.
From Blessed Mother we learn to surrender to God's will in all things. From her we learn to trust even when all hope seems gone. From her we learn to love Christ her Son and the Son of God. If you ever feel distressed during your day--illness, loss of loved one, trouble with children — call upon Blessed Mother — just say this simple prayer: 'Mary, Mother of Jesus, please be a mother to me now. Lead me to Jesus.'

Popular Posts