Dec. 29, 2015 Tuesday: 5th Day in the Octave of Christmas

Dec. 29, 2015 Tuesday: 5th Day in the Octave of Christmas


New Year is just two days away. For sure most people are preparing their so-called, “New Year’s resolutions.” I still recall that whatever I make my New Year’s Resolutions I do some rituals to show to God how sincere I am in doing it. However, after a month of faithfully doing my resolutions, I falter and stumble back to my old ways. So, for the rest of the year, I was back to my old habits, but promising to do my best next year.

In today’s gospel, Simeon shows us the right attitude of not giving up, determination with commitment. We could just imagine him waiting for the Messiah day after day. That was his resolution in life, to see the Messiah. He might have gotten sick and missed a day but he made sure that as soon as he got well he continued his resolution.

Resolutions are good, for they direct us to becoming better persons. However, without determination and commitment, it will just remain an idea. Let us be Simeon who kept and fulfilled his resolution until he finally saw the Messiah with his very own eyes.

(Fr. Alan G. Bondoc, SVD Bible Diary 2009)
https://justmehomely.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/december-29-5th-day-of-christmas-2/

Popular Posts