Sept. 21, 2008: 25th Sunday Ordinary Time (A)


Things are beginning to look normal. Last weekend, I went to my first LSU Tiger football game. The fans were out tailgating around the stadium, and there was electrifying energy in the stadium. Cable is back on our TVs, and we were able to watch LSU win again against Auburn on TV. I drove around the neighborhood, and there are less debris piles around the streets. I saw kids playing in the yard, and some boys were on their Razor Ripsticks on the sidewalks. 

If things were beginning to look normal, is it beginning to feel normal? We survived two storms, but there is still this sense of uneasiness. Perhaps it's because of a different kind of storm brewing in the Wall Street. Although it's far away from us, it's affecting our retirement funds and bank accounts. These storms have stirred the pot--of our hearts. It just doesn't feel quite normal because our sense of feeling safe and secure are not there yet. We have worked so hard many years to build a sense of security, but these storms there is a sense of helplessness because these storms overwhelmed us. Few years ago after Katrina, I felt this great helplessness and anxiety. I didn't own much material things. Prior to entering the seminary, I gave away most of my things and what I had in my seminary was some books. Yet, my pot was stirred and it was not settling. I felt like I was washed away by waves and ended up somewhere I had no idea where I was. 

We have come to this church on Sunday seeking some answers or seeking a sense of peace. Jesus told St. Faustina the following. "Paint an image according to the pattern you see, with the signature: Jesus, I trust in you. I desire that this image be venerated throughout the entire world. I promise that the souls that will venerate this image will not perish. I also promise victory over its enemies already here on earth, especially at the hour of death. I Myself will defend it as My own glory." What's the significance of this image and the words, 'Jesus, I trust in you'? Jesus told St. Faustina, "I desire that priests proclaim this great mercy of Mine toward souls of sinners. Let the sinner not be afraid to approach Me." He said, "Distrust on the part of souls is tearing at My insides...despite My inexhaustible love for them they do not trust Me. Even My death is not enough for them."   

Jesus has asked me, as his priest, to relay these messages given to St. Faustina. He said to her, "Do not fear anything. I am with you. These matters are in My hands and I will bring them to fruition according to My mercy, for nothing can oppose My will." 

Jesus, I trust in You.  

Popular Posts