Mar. 25, 2010: The Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord


Many of us have signed up for things like health club memberships, auto insurance, and 401k retirement plans. The sales person quickly places many documents in front of us to sign on the spot where it says, "I agree with all the terms and conditions." How many of us really take time to actually read that when we sign it? No many. When we think of the event of the Annunciation of the Lord when the Archangel Gabriel appeared to Blessed Mother to announce that she was going to be the mother of the Lord, we immediately think of her 'fiat' or her 'yes' to God as she said, "Let it be done to me according to thy word." I don't see in the Gospel of Luke where Archangel Gabriel brings her a 30 page terms and conditions contract for her to sign. Do you? Nor do I see a 30 page terms and conditions contract being signed at the wedding day between the groom and the bride. The 'yes' that Blessed Mother said to God and the 'yes' that the groom and the bride said to each other presupposes the following: "I trust you completely, and I trust that what you ask of me is for my good because you love me. For that reason, I give you permission to change me, I give you permission to transform me. In the end, my heart will be conformed to yours, my wants and my desires will be conformed to yours."

For some couples, after 25 years of marriage, can finish each other's sentences, can anticipate each other's needs without words ever spoken, and can come to each other's side when one spouse feels under the weather. That's the transforming power of 'yes' of that wedding day, isn't it? Yet we are aware also, that for some couples the number of years in marriage does not necessarily translate into closer union and transformation, but more of tolerance because of children or even growing apart. The same can be said with our 'yes' to God. For those of you who have been a Catholic for a while, if I ask you, "Have you grown to trust God more? Do you find yourself anticipating and carrying out with haste what He desires for you? Or have you grown to resent what He asks of you, to cringe at His requests."

Perhaps one of the reason why God invites us to mass every week is to help us move from resentment to trust. And He helps us grow to trust Him each time we come before receiving Communion. When the priest hands us Jesus in the Eucharist, we say, 'Amen.' This Amen is like Our Lady's fiat or "Let it be done to me according to Thy word," when she consents to our Lord's making His dwelling in her virginal womb.

Our Amen, in a real way , gives the Lord permission to come in, change us imperceptibly from within, and orients us toward our true and eternal good. But this Amen, this permission, often comes with strings attached on our part, as we don't necessarily want Him to change everything.  Nevertheless, He gently and relentlessly teaches us through the Eucharist that we will find our ultimate happiness giving ourselves away to God and neighbor without reserve. "Let it be done to me, according to Thy word."

Popular Posts