Oct. 16, 2010 Saturday: St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (France, 1647-1690)


Revelation To St. Margaret Mary Alacoque 

"One day, kneeling before the Blessed Sacrament during the octave of Corpus Christi, I was deluged with God's loving favors--He disclosed his divine Heart and said: 'Behold this Heart which has loved men so much, it spared no means of proof - wearing itself out until it was utterly spent. This meets with scant appreciation from most of them; all I get back is ingratitude - witness their irreverence, their sacrileges, their coldness and contempt for me in this Sacrament of Love. What hurts me most is that hearts dedicated to my service treat me in this way. That is why I am asking you to have the Friday after the octave of Corpus Christi set apart as a special feast in honor of my Heart - a day on which to receive me in Holy Communion and make a solemn act of reparation for the indignities I have received in the Blessed Sacrament while exposed on the altars of the world. I promise you that I shall open my Heart to all who honor me in this way, and who get others to do the same; they will feel in all its fullness the power of my love'.

"One of my greatest sufferings was caused by this divine Heart addressing to me these words: 'I thirst with such terrible thirst to be loved by men in the Blessed Sacrament that the thirst consumes me. Yet I find no one trying to quench it according to my desire by some return of my love. Do me the kindness then - you at least - of making up for their ingratitude, as far as you can. His sternest reprimands were reserved for want of respect and attention in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, insincerity or failure to preserve purity of intention, and idle curiosity."

from Autobiography of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Popular Posts