Oct. 2, 2011: 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time (A)

I was reading an article the other day about an Italian man living in Italy who left $700,000 in his will to the city of Boston. The odd thing is that none of his family or relatives lives in Boston, or has he ever traveled there. The city of Boston was happy to find out that they were $700,000 richer. But the city found out the catch: the money will be given on condition that they take care of the man's two dogs and many cats, that are located in a town in Italy. Asked about inheriting new pets from Italy, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said, “It’s unbelievable. I want to know who is going to feed the cats and dogs. They’re over in Italy. What do you want me to do?’’

Have you made out a will for yourself? No one wants to think of thepossibility of his or her own death, but it is important that our family andother loved ones are provided for when we die. Three years ago when I wasordained a priest, I received a packet from the diocese that included a requestto turn in a will to the diocese. Because I believed I was too young to write awill, it felt strange putting down on paper how I wanted my assets to bedistributed. Besides that, I don't own a house or a land or other valuables.Who would want to keep my rice cooker?


Have you ever given a thought as to what might be willed to you in thefuture? My parents live in a small house in Texas, and I know my sister and Iwill likely divide up that house when my parents pass from this world. I know mysister will likely want to keep all of mom's pots and pans, and I will want tokeep all our old photo albums. You can tell that I was thinking about the topicof Wills this week. I began to think about this topic when a parishioner handedme a Will that one of her friends wrote on behalf of God. It reads, "I amGod, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, and I do make anddeclare this My Will on the 7th day of February 2004...I appoint the CatholicChurch as Executor of this succession...I bequeath to you the following:"What intrigued me was that I had never thought about God the Fatherputting into His Will, what I had inherited from Him. This "will" caught my attentionbecause the woman wrote it after surviving a near-fatal illness. She pondered, after a brush with death, not what she could have lost, but what she has already inherited. We, His beloved children inherited so much at the time of our birth, yet we do not realize it. As a priest, I deal with suffering, death, and selfishness of many people, and I see how the muck of daily life and our attraction to the dark side of humanity make us lose sight of all that has given to us. We need to ponder through daily prayer and reflection what the Father has already given us and work to make all that He has given us top priority in our lives. I believe that this will captures what should be our priority in our lives.
The will reads: I, God, bequeath to you the following;

  • Creation. I have willed creation as a gift to you, an inheritance destined for and entrusted to you. (Catechism #299)
  • A Desire for Me. Into your heart I have placed a desire for Me where only you will find truth and happiness. (Catechism #27)
  • A Free Will. I confer on you the dignity of a person who can initiate and control your own actions. (Catechism #1730)
  • A Savior/Brother/Friend - Jesus. I so loved you that I gave you My only Son so that all who believe in Him might not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) I proved My love for you in that while you were still a sinner My Son died for you. (Romans 5:8) Accept this privilege of no longer being called a slave but a friend. (John 15:15)
  • The Holy Spirit. My Son has asked Me and I have given you another, Advocate, to be with you always. (John 14:16-17)
  • The Church. It is in the Church that the fullness of the means of salvation has been deposited. It is her that by My grace you acquire holiness. (Catechism #824)
  • Scripture. In Sacred Scripture, My Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it not as a human word, but as what it really is, My Word. (1 Thess 2:13). In the sacred books I come lovingly to meet you and talk with you. (Catechism #104)
  • Mary, Your Mother. The Virgin Mary is clearly the mother of the members of Christ since she has by her charity joined in bringing about the birth of believers in the Church. (Catechism #963)
  • Sacraments. The sacraments are signs of grace, instituted by my Son and entrusted to the Church by which divine life is dispensed to you. You bear fruit when you receive them with the required dispositions. (Catechism #1131)
  • The Kingdom. My Kingdom lies ahead of you. It was brought near in the Word incarnate, it was proclaimed throughout the whole Gospel, and it has come in My Son's death and resurrection. My Kingdom has been coming since the Last Supper and, in the Eucharist, it is in your midst. (Catechism #2816)
  • Eternal Life. My gift is eternal life in Christ Jesus your Lord. (Romans 6:23) I give you eternal life, and you shall never perish. No one can take you out of my hand. (John 10:28-30) Rejoice because your names are written in Heaven. (Luke 10:20)
"Should there be any inheritance, estate or other taxes due, such taxes have been and will forever be paid by my Son, Jesus, and no such taxes shall be paid or borne by my children...Notary Not Necessary...Sealed with the Blood of the Lamb."

Many of us may doubt andwonder if we have been given anything of worth from God. We may have theattitude of the tenants in the vineyard and cling onto all that we have or towhat we may inherit from this earthly world. On Monday I will preside at a funeralfor a woman who did not inherit much of anything in worldly terms; in fact, shelost much. At an early age, her mother and close relatives died. Only 20 yearsinto her marriage and her husband passed from this life. Her earthly life gaveher much sorrow, yet she knew she had inherited so much from our HeavenlyFather--her children, Jesus, the Church, Blessed Mother, the Sacraments, andmost importantly, her Eternal Life with the Father. What she has willed to herchildren and grandchildren is her life-long sacrificial love, her steadfastfaith, and her example of unconditional love. This is infinitely worth muchmore than the $700,000 willed the city of Boston to take care of a couple ofdogs and cats.

Popular Posts