Nov. 27, 2011: 1st Sunday of Advent (B)


Some memories from childhood, even after decades,are as fresh and vivid in our minds today as are the events that occurred just yesterday.One such memory for me is from when I was 4 years old when mom took my sister and me on a bus ride so that she could register my sister for kindergarten. When we got off the bus, my sister held my mom’s hand and I trailed behind them as we walked down the sidewalk toward the school. To this then-4 year-old boy,everything in the sidewalk shops was fascinating and so I stopped periodically to get a glimpse of the toys in the shop. Mom would pause and holler at me to follow, but I continued to stop again and again to gaze at other fascinating things. After we had walked a while, I looked around and saw that my mom and my sister were gone.  Instead of being alarmed by that, I wandered around the neighborhood exploring all the little streets. For a while, exploring was fun, but then I began to worry and whimper. As tears fell down my face, I cried, “Um-ma” (Korean for mama). Somehow, I got back to the sidewalk shop where I had separated from them, and in the distance I saw them. Mom saw me and then she began to walk fast toward me. When she got closer to me, she grabbed a broomstick that one of shops was selling and she gave me a few good licks with that broom. I guess you could say that she was quite angry with me at that point, but I was so glad that she had come back for me. I must say that I learned a good lesson in life—don’t get lost or I’ll get more broomstick whacks.

As children, probably many of us were lost or separated from our families or groups. We cried hoping that our mom or dad would come back to find us, and so we learned early on that we belong to someone and that someone searches for us. Just because we grow older does not mean that there are not times when we feel as though we are lost and yearn to be found and brought back home to safety. Some adults experience what's called a Midlife Crisis, a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some in the middle age of life as a result of sensing the passing of their own youth and the imminence of old age. The crisis can bring about a feeling of being lost,to the point that a person wants to make a significant change in his career,life, and even relationships. Do you feel that right now? Do you feel the desire to be found and be brought back home?

Advent is a perfect time to regain bearing and direction in our lives. We know that Advent is a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. A powerful image of Advent is three kings or Magis riding their camels in the dark of the night guided only by a bright star. Like Magis, we need to ask ourselves during Advent, why did Jesus come in to this world? And, more importantly, why did Jesus come into this world for me?We must come to know that Jesus came to bring us back to right-relationship with the Heavenly Father. Jesus, who is always faithful to the Father, longs for us to be forever with Him and the Father. Listen to what prophet Isaiah says in our First Reading:  "You, LORD, are our father, our redeemer you are named forever. Why do you let us wander, O LORD, from your ways, and harden our hearts so that we fear you not? Return for the sake of your servants..." As we grapple with feelings of being lost,this cry of Isaiah echoes from the depths of our hearts, but do we listen to our deepest desires? Do we take time to discern these feelings and desires?

Many of us on this Black Friday (including this priest) were out in the pitch-dark of the morning, waiting for the lights to shine. Of course, I'm talking about the lights to Target, Walmart, Best Buy,and the Mall. Many of us know how to make strategies and practice patience to get the best deal. Likewise, using that same ardent desire, we need to prepare and be ready for Jesus to come again. Jesus, who is and will forever be the light of this world, desires that we look for His light in each other. Jesus reminds us in the Gospel, "Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come." Many of us who stayed home rather than fight the crowds at the stores this past Friday, watched on the TV News how this world draws us away from Jesus. Rather than being awe-struck by the reports of the unruly crowds, volume of sales or the hottest selling item, we should hope that our hearts are changed so as to reject all that does not give life. I’m not saying that we cannot own electronics or gadgets, but we cannot let theses items own us.

If you are feeling that sense of being lost, use these four weeks of Advent to deepen your prayer life by spending time with Jesus. He desires to find you and bring you back home to the Father.

Popular Posts