March 25, 2012: 5th Sunday of Lent (B)

At a funeral this week, a grandson of the deceased gave the eulogy for his pawpaw but he had to stop several times as he spoke because he choked up with tears. I am sure that everyone could sense that his pawpaw meant the world to him. He said, “In his lifetime, my pawpaw gave a lot of advice to others, and I would like to give my pawpaw advice. This is somewhat of an inside joke that only my family will understand.” He mentioned something that I did not understand but all of his family sitting in front row laughed. Later at the reception, one of the family members explained the inside joke. He said “Father, were you able to understand what my nephew said at the end? He said he would like to advise that when his pawpaw goes to the pearly gates and meets St. Peter, that his pawpaw should not tell St. Peter, ‘Pull my finger.’” Later, the inside joke had to be elaborated to me because I still did not understand what happens when ‘Pull my finger’ is said. I wish I did not ask for that elaboration.

It is times like that when I say to the family, “I sure would like to have known your pawpaw.” Unless I had grown up around him and had known him personally, I would not have understood how his pawpaw inspired others, why he was a devoted family man who was also dedicated to his country and his community, and that he was a character to be around. Rarely do I know the person at whose funeral I am presiding. It’s been almost 4 years since I was ordained to the priesthood and I have been moved 5 times.  I haven’t stayed long enough in one community to have the privilege of knowing the persons for whom the funerals were celebrated. Only when I walk the life journey with the person, will I ever appreciate what he has done for me.    

Likewise, there is no easy way to ‘see’ Our Lord Jesus. In today’s Gospel, some Greeks came and asked to see Jesus. What did they want to see? Did they want to see Jesus perform miracles for them? Even in our day, people flock to see miracles. I know many who went to see the miracles at Medjugorje—the spinning sun, the rosary turning gold, and our Blessed Mother. As many as who returned from Medjugorje with their hearts changed, there are also those who have said that seeing the miracles didn’t do much for their faith life. Why is that? Blessed Mother has said in Medjugorje, “Dear Children, at this time of preparation, I as a mother, desire to point you to what is most important, to your soul. Can my Son be born in it? Is it cleansed by love from lies, arrogance, hatred and malice? Above all else, does your soul love God as a Father and does it love your fellow brother in Christ? I am pointing you to the way which will raise your soul to a complete union with my Son. I desire for my Son to be born in you. What a joy that would be for me as Mother.”

If we want to see and know Jesus, Blessed Mother said that we must walk the path that He walked. Jesus said, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.” What is this hour of glorification? Jesus explains, “ Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me.”  If we truly want to see and know Jesus, we must follow Jesus to the cross, we must participate in His life, death and resurrection.

Yesterday, I presided at funeral for a man whom I knew for a couple of years. He and I had worked at the same chemical plant. When I became a priest, he told me that he did not like to go to church, but that he had many fond memories of being an altar server. When I spoke with his wife after he had died, she said that toward the end of life he had a vision of Jesus and a vision of the future for his children. He said to his wife and children a few weeks before his death, “Babies are being born, babies are being born! Two boys! One I had to leave behind.” Interestingly, one of his daughter’s-in-law is pregnant with a boy, and another daughter-in-law had a miscarriage recently. So it was through his suffering with cancer that he finally got to see Jesus and know Him personally. This man wanted to tell his children about Jesus; he wanted to bring Jesus to them.

Jesus was sent to by the Father to save all. Some of us have responded but there are many who do not yet know him. Because of our baptismal promises, those of us who know Him must carry His message no matter where we go. Many want to see Jesus, and we must work to bring them to Him. As difficult as it is for us, we must welcome all, for God made all in His image and likeness. We must draw those who do not know Jesus to Him. As you pray throughout this week, ask yourself, am I doing all that I can do to know, love, and serve Jesus?

Popular Posts