Aug. 8, 2012 Wednesday: St. Dominic

What do you desire?


Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter is tormented by a demon...Help me." (Matt 15:22)

A question that St. Ignatius of Loyola would have us continually ask of ourselves: What do you really want? Peel away the layers of desires, fears, ambitions, and dreams and get in touch with the deepest desire of your heart. Ignatius believed that when you touch what the poet Hopkins called the “dearest, freshness, deep-down things,” you’ll find God there.

Grant, O Lord, that my heart may neither desire nor seek anything but what is necessary for the fulfillment of Thy holy Will. May health or sickness, riches or poverty, honors or contempt, humiliations, leave my soul in that state of perfect detachment to which I desire to attain for Thy greater honor and Thy greater glory. Amen.
-St. Ignatius Loyola

Popular Posts