March 25, 2015 Wednesday: Feast of Annunciation

March 25, 2015 Wednesday: Feast of Annunciation

I wanted names, dates, places, and the assurance of a happy ending. I wanted to know what the future held for me. I wanted God to tell me everything.

I can look up and think warm, fuzzy thoughts about the reality of the Incarnation. I know that at the moment of Mary’s “yes” – God became man in order to accomplish our salvation. I know, now, that everything worked out pretty well for Mary and the rest of humanity.

But at that moment… what was Mary thinking?


AN UNWAVERING YES
The Gospel of Luke tells us that when the angel Gabriel greeted Mary in Nazareth with “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you” (Luke 1:28), Mary was “greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be” (Luke 1:29).

After being told of God’s plan- that she would be the mother of “the Son of God the Most High” (Luke 1:32) – we know that Mary’s reply was “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38).

At the moment of the annunciation, Mary didn’t know the particulars. She didn’t know what would happen when Joseph found out she was pregnant. She didn’t know what responsibilities she was signing up for, as the mother of the Son of God. She didn’t know the suffering and joy she would experience. God didn’t tell her everything. Her “yes” to God wasn’t contingent on the details. She simply said “yes” because God asked.

Like Mary and the countless others who have journeyed to heaven before us, we can’t possibly know all the details when we first say “yes” to God, and it can be frustrating and scary.

The most important question God had for me was if I would pursue holiness no matter what — and everyday the annunciation (both the image and the reality) inspires me to say “yes.”
-Alison (http://lifeteen.com/dear-god-tell-everything/)

Popular Posts