Nov. 24, 2015 Tuesday: 34th Week in Ordinary Time

Nov. 24, 2015 Tuesday: 34th Week in Ordinary Time


In the film “Armaggedon,” we are told about a giant asteroid heading directly towards earth. Unless stopped, the asteroid will hit the earth and will mean the end of the world. A similar story is told in the movie “Deep Impact.” Unless stopped, the fall of the comet will have a tremendous impact of unknown proportions. It will also mean the end of the world. Stories about the end of the world continue to fascinate the people, just like the time of Jesus.

In the gospel today, Jesus tells us about the end of time. In describing its signs the Lord is telling us some important points. First, welcome the event calmly. Here, he is warning us to be on guard against false prophets that will only bring panic and fear in us. Second, he encourages us to bring hope into the world and to keep the faith alive in midst of trials. Third, he is reminding us that everything in this world has an end and that even our lives will come to an end.


Am I ready to face the Lord at the end of my life? When I face the Lord, what can I tell him about the life I have lived or what will the Lord tell me about the kind of life I have lived?
(Fr. Jose Mateo, SVD Bible Diary 2002)

Popular Posts