Feb. 11, 2016: Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Feb. 11, 2016: Thursday after Ash Wednesday

What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself? Luke 9: 25


After nine seasons, the popular TV sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond broadcast its final episode. The star of the show, Ray Romano, had gone from struggling as a stand-up comedian to become one of the highest-paid actors on television. At the conclusion of the last day’s filming, Romano spoke to the studio audience, reflecting on his past and his future. He read from a note his brothers had stuck in his luggage the day he moved from New York to Hollywood, nine years earlier.

“My older brother Richard wrote, ‘What does it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, and loses his soul?’” said a tearful Romano. “Now I’m going to work on my soul.”

What does it profit? Life is short and eternity is an awfully long time. At the end of our life what will really matter? Fame? Money? Success? Handled correctly they are all good things but not ends in themselves. What does matter is making a difference in another person’s life. Can I honestly say that because of my being here the world is a better place? I don’t have to solve world hunger or bring peace to war-torn regions, but I can be a blessing to another person. I can love God by loving the people God put in my life.

PRAYER
Almighty God, help me today to make the world a little better by loving those nearest to me.

-Fr. Thomas J. Connery, Traveling Light

Popular Posts