June 3, 2016 Friday: Solemnity of Sacred Heart of Jesus

June 3, 2016 Friday: Solemnity of Sacred Heart of Jesus

June, traditionally, is dedicated in our Catholic calendar to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The Friday after the Feast of Corpus Christi is the Feast of the Sacred Heart, always in June. Since childhood, I've had a strong devotion to Jesus under this title.

The heart symbolizes love, mercy, tenderness, compassion. Our God has a heart! His Sacred Heart is literally on fire with those noble sentiments, and I find that very consoling.

Here is a very practical ways to bond with the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

The morning offering. Easy but profound: early each day, right after getting out of bed, dedicate the day to Jesus, and unite all your prayers, works, words, thoughts and trials to His Sacred Heart.

Here's what I have prayed every morning since I made my first Communion:

All for Thee, Most Sacred Heart of Jesus!

Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in Thee!

Sacred Heart of Jesus, I believe in your love for me!

Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner!

Sacred Heart of Jesus, Thy Kingdom come!

My Dad, the first to admit he was far from a saint, had that morning offering taped to the mirror on the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I guess he prayed it while he shaved.

Try it—you won't regret it.

By Cardinal Timothy Dolan

Popular Posts