Nov. 28, 2017: St. Catherine Laboure

Nov. 28, 2017: St. Catherine Laboure

St. Catherine Laboure entered the Daughters of Charity in 1830. When she was a novice, the Blessed Mother appeared to her several times in the Motherhouse Chapel asking that a medal be made in her honor.  Although the Miraculous Medal became well known through out the world, Sister Catherine devoted her life to the service of the poor elderly in silence and humility for forty-six years.   She is known as the saint of silence, as she kept her secret of being the one who saw Mary until her death.  She was a woman of profound prayer and service, a true “mystic in action” as a Daughter of St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac. She is, in a special way, the patroness of the elderly.

Meditation:

“Whenever I go to the chapel, I put myself in the presence of our good Lord, and I say to him, ‘Lord I am here. Tell me what you would have me to do.’  If he gives me some task, I am content and I thank him.  If he gives me nothing, I still thank him since I do not deserve to receive anything more than that.  And then, I tell God everything that is in my heart.  I tell him about my pains and joys, and then I listen…  If you listen, God will also speak to you, for with the good Lord, you have to both speak and listen.  God always speaks to you when you approach him plainly and simply.” St. Catherine Laboure

Reflection:

 In your prayer do you “speak and listen?”  How has God directed
 you in your service to the poor- giving you a “task to do”?

https://svdpallsouls.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/vincentian-reflection-feast-of-saint-catherine-laboure/


https://youtu.be/C2pF5XhNSJk

Popular Posts