Oct. 28, 2018: 30th Sunday B

Oct. 28, 2018: 30th Sunday B

Click to hear Audio Homily
https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=7346333

Click to hear "These Alone Are Enough" sang by Fr Paul Yi
https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=7346345

If you could say in one word what you want more of in life, what would that be? Someone conducted an online survey of several hundred persons asking them this question. I don’t think the results will surprise you. One of the top five responses was money. Whether the person was a millionaire, middle class income, or just scraping by, most feared not having enough money. Another top response was having a sense of purpose. With much noise, stress, and responsibilities in their lives, many wanted clarity about who they are and their purpose in life.

“What do you want me to do for you,” Jesus asked blind Bartimaeus. He replied, “Master, I want to see.” We can surmise what Bartimaeus wanted was clarity about the purpose of his life. He spent most of his time as a blind beggar on the street. Perhaps he felt that his life could have a deeper meaning and fulfillment. Was all there to life just living paycheck to paycheck, hand to mouth only to repeat again the next day? When Jesus called Bartimaeus, he sprang up toward the direction of the sound of Jesus’ voice. He left behind his belongings as if he was ready for a new beginning and to give his all. This was Bartimaeus’ faith. He trusted that Jesus could change his life.

Let’s go back to the question from the beginning, “What do you want more of in your life?” Are there times when we want more clarity and purpose in our lives, but we forget to call to God who gives us the very meaning of our existence? Many times we search and pursue after experiences, things, and persons in hopes of being fulfilled, yet when we possess it, we still feel empty. Giving control of our lives out of trust to God seems so uncertain. We question whether God cares about our hopes and dreams. Yet following Jesus means that like Bartimaeus, we entrust to God our lives, hopes, and dreams. We need to search patiently and persistently for light in the midst of darkness. Even when shrouded in darkness, we can have expectant faith like blind Bartimaeus that a new beginning is ahead. Our Heavenly Father has our best interest in His will. Consider the following words from a prayer from St. Ignatius of Loyola. Ponder if we can offer this prayer to God with sincerity of heart.

Take my heart, O Lord, take my hopes and dreams.
Take my mind with all its plans and schemes.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

Take my thoughts, O Lord, and my memory.
Take my tears, my joys, my liberty.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.
I surrender Lord, all I have and hold.
I return to you your gifts untold.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

When the darkness falls on my final days,
take the very breath that sang your praise.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

Popular Posts