June 23, 2019: Corpus Christi C

June 23, 2019: Corpus Christi C
"You fed your people with the food of angels; you gave them bread from heaven, alleluia."

It was winter of 2001 at St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church. I was sitting in the sanctuary during a daily mass, altar serving for Fr. Phil Spano as a layman. I just returned from a very moving pilgrimage to Medjugorje, where I received a clear sense that God was asking me to consider the priesthood. I was still wrestling with a bit of selfish thought. 'What about marriage, career, and my parents? Why give up my dreams?'

When communion time began, an inexplicable feeling came over me. It was a desire, and it was not my own. As I saw a multitude of people coming up to Fr. Phil to receive the Holy Eucharist, I sensed a great desire by Someone to feed this multitude. They were hungry--not just for food, drink, health, security, beauty, truth, and peace. They were truly hungry for God. Through the Eucharist, God satisfied their deepest hunger, and I was privileged to feel a glimpse of God's desire.

On this Feast of Corpus Christi, we marvel that the Lord wants to feed us to satisfy our deepest yearning. His yearning is that we share this Good News that Jesus desires to feed all with Himself. While not all can receive the Holy Eucharist, we can feed them with our compassion and mercy. St. Therese of Lisieux gives us simple advice on how to feed others: "Miss no single opportunity of making some small sacrifice, here by a smiling look, there by a kindly word; always doing the smallest right and doing it all for love."

------------------
You satisfy the hungry heart
With gift of finest wheat
Come give to us, O Saving Lord
The Bread of Life to eat

As when the shepherd calls his sheep
They know and heed his voice
So when you call your family Lord
They follow and rejoice

With joyful lips, we sing to you
Our praise and gratitude
That you should count us worthy Lord
To share this Heavenly food

Popular Posts