Aug. 21, 2019: St. Pius X

Aug. 21, 2019: St. Pius X Matthew 20:1-16 (Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard)
And on receiving the wage they grumbled against the landowner, saying, 'These last ones worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us, who bore the day's burden and the heat.' The landowner said to one of them in reply, 'My friend, I am not cheating you. Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage? Take what is yours and go. What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious because I am generous?' Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last." "Jesus wants to make us contemplate the gaze of that landowner: the gaze with which he looks upon each of the laborers searching for work and calls them to go to his vineyard. It is a gaze which calls, invites one to get up and begin a journey because he wants life for each of us; he wants a full, committed life, safe from emptiness and inertia. God excludes no one and wants each of us to achieve his or her fullness. This is the love of our God, of our God who is Father." -Pope Francis

Popular Posts