Oct. 15, 2020: St. Teresa of Avila

Oct. 15, 2020: St. Teresa of Avila

A whole lifetime is short, and sometimes very short indeed. How do we know that ours may not be so short as to end an hour, or even a minute after we have determined to give ourselves wholly to God? It is quite possible, for we cannot depend on anything that passes away, much less on life, on which we must not reckon for even a single day. 

We may be among those who, worldly as we still are, have some deep desire to do what is right. At times, rare as they may be, we commend ourselves to God's care. We think about our souls every now and then. Busy as we are, we pray a few times a month, even though our minds are filled with a thousand other matters. “Where your treasure is, there also is your heart.” 

We need, therefore, from time to time to cast aside our daily concerns. We need to reflect upon the state of our soul, and to realize that we will never reach our goal by the road we are following. We need to withdraw from time to time from all unnecessary cares and business. 

Meditate on this: A whole lifetime is short. I cannot depend on anything that passes away. 

Let nothing, O Lord, disturb the peace of my soul. Let nothing make me afraid. For even though life is short, even though it could end before I wake, if I put all my trust in you, and not in passing things, I need not be concerned. 

Let me now, in the dying moments of this day, cast aside my concerns and reflect upon the state of my soul. Worldly as I still am, I harbor a deep desire to do what is right and to commend myself wholly to your care. For if I have you, God, I will want for nothing. You alone suffice.

A meditation from: Let Nothing Disturb You: A Journey to the Center of the Soul with Teresa of Avila in the 30 Days with a Great Spiritual Teacher series. Edited by John Kirvan

Popular Posts