Jan. 31, 2011 Monday: Homily given at Peace Mass

The following is the homily on Our Lady of Guadalupe and Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul that was given at Peace Mass on Jan. 25, 2011 at Our Lady of Mercy

Click to hear audio homily

During this mass, I will speak briefly about Our Lady of Guadalupe, and then after mass and Benediction, I will speak about the significance of Our Lady of Guadalupe.



Just a few weeks ago, 17 pilgrims and I returned from a pilgrimage to Mexico City to meet Our Lady of Guadalupe. Our tour guide mentioned to us that the week between Dec. 9 (feast day of St. Juan Diego) and Dec. 12 (feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe) there were an estimated 7 million pilgrims who went through the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Just to give you a comparison, there are 770,000 people living in the Greater Baton Rouge area. We know how impressive it is for the LSU Tiger Stadium to be filled with people. But just imagine, an endless stream of 7 million people for a whole week, not for a football team, but to honor Heavenly Mother and, more importantly to worship Our Lord. After Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared to Juan Diego in 1531 and gave the Tilma, during the next seven years (1531-1538) an estimated 8 million natives of Mexico converted to Catholicism.



These are big numbers, but significant to us today is the conversion of a single person--St. Paul. His conversion story is so pivotal for our Church that we designated it as a feast day. If I were to ask you, “Do you remember the day you had your own St. Paul’s conversion experience,” can you remember it? Where did it happen? How did it happen? For Protestants, that would be akin to asking, “When were you saved?” And many remember the precise date and circumstances that led them to acknowledging Jesus as their Lord and Savior. My initial conversion happened at a protestant prayer meeting held near the campus of University of Texas at Austin.  I still remember the four college guys who approached me and asked me whether I was saved.

I think what is interesting in St. Paul’s conversion story is the involvement of Ananias who initially resisted Jesus’ request to go see St. Paul who was blinded. Let’s listen to the story again from St. Paul’s perspective:
“A certain Ananias, a devout observer of the law, and highly spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, came to me and stood there and said,
‘Saul, my brother, regain your sight.’ And at that very moment I regained my sight and saw him. Then he said, ‘The God of our ancestors designated you to know his will, to see the Righteous One, and to hear the sound of his voice; for you will be his witness before all to what you have seen and heard. Now, why delay? Get up and have yourself baptized and your sins washed away, calling upon his name.’”



It took great trust and humility on the part of Ananias to overcome his own fears about St. Paul. How can we be an instrument of Jesus to assist in conversions of others? Yesterday, we celebrated the feast day of St. Francis de Sales who was instrumental in converting many Calvinists in Geneva, Switzerland through his gentleness and kindness. Most of us know his axiom, “A spoonful of honey attracts more flies than a barrelful of vinegar.” How many of us have family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors who could use conversion of heart? Jesus reminds us throughout scriptures, it will not be done by the way of Pharisees. Pharisees were looking to condemn. In contrast, Jesus looked to save. He looked for evidence of hope and potential, not by searching for evidence of unholiness of others. Pharisees had a problem of trying to fuel their superiority and obtaining value for themselves in an unhealthy way.



Perhaps we should look at how Our Lady of Guadalupe converted millions. A parishioner after mass told me, “Father, I was a Baptist and I was on vacation with my mom in Mexico City. We stopped  by the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe as tourist, and there before the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, both my mom and I felt this strange love. I knew then that I had to become a Catholic.” Loving gaze of a mother has a tremendous power to move souls. Juan Diego heard these loving words from Blessed Mother on her third apparition, “My little son. Do not be distressed and afraid. Am I not here who am your Mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection?  Am I not the fountain of your joy? Are you not in the fold of my mantle, in the cradle of my arms?” How can a heart not be moved by such tenderness, such love? Juan Diego's heart was moved. Our Lord and Blessed Mother are asking us to imitate their love and tenderness. Our patience, kindness, gentleness, compassion, and understanding will also move hearts.

Popular Posts