June 10, 2012: Corpus Christi, The Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ

Often I come across very special people, people who put aside their own wants and needs for a time, and help another person to live a fuller life. I see a husband who becomes primary caretaker for his wife as her health fails. I see a friend who becomes hands and feet for her friend who is blind. I see a couple that takes care of their nephew and niece while the parents of the children seek help. These are people who intentionally choose to give up their own preference, to intentionally prefer what the other needs. Perhaps the only worthy word to describe what they are doing is sacrifice, particularly the sacrifice of their will. Mysteriously though, sacrifice is not just a one-way giving.

I remember an inspirational story of a father who attended college classes with his son who is blind and crippled; the son loved to play trumpet in the college marching band, so the father made the sacrifice to make sure that his son's dream came true. The son was asked by an interviewer, "How would you describe your dad's workday?" The son replied, "Poor thing. He goes to work about 11 o'clock at night, Monday through Thursday and comes home at 6AM. He sleeps till around 11AM." By the time the son wakes up and moves from his bed into his wheel chair, his dad is ready to tackle another day, together with his son. His dad said, "My son is my hero. What he goes through, it's taught me that I have nothing to complain about.” The son then said, "God made me blind and unable to walk. Big deal! Look at the other things God has given me. He gave me musical gifts that allowed me to meet new people and new opportunities."

Isn't it a moving story? What is it about this story that moves us? Is it the father sacrificing his own time and comfort to become his son's eyes and feet so that his son can have a fuller life? Or is it the son who recognizes the hidden gifts of God in his handicap, who recognizes that everything, even challenges and setbacks are gifts from God. I think it's both.

Something of a similar yet more incredible and moving story takes place at every mass. The Heavenly Father's great desire to give a full life to His children handicapped by sin sends His Son, and the Son willingly sacrifices His Body and Blood for the atonement of the sins of His children. Although this sacrifice was done once for all on Calvary, mystically Our Lord is making real this sacrifice for each of us today as He says to us, "This is my body, given up for you...this is my blood which will be poured out for you for the forgiveness of sins." If we have the eyes to see it, we would see Jesus with incredible kindness and patience, offering every moment of His life for each of us, personally. Who can comprehend this love?

Every time we eat His Body and Blood, we become more like Him, becoming a disciple who intentionally chooses to set apart his or her preference and prefers another's need. Will your life be a reflection of whom you receive? Will you offer yourself as a sacrifice so that others may have a fuller life?

Popular Posts