July 3, 2012 Tuesday: St. Thomas, Apostle

Put your finger into the mark of the nails”,


Jesus said to Thomas. “You
were looking for me when I was not there; take advantage of it now that I am. I know what you are wanting to do in spite of your silence. Even before you tell me, I know what you are thinking. I heard what you said and, even though unseen, I was beside you, close to your doubts, and without
revealing myself I made you wait so that I could witness your impatience all the better. Put your finger into the mark of the nails; put your hand into my side; and do not be unbelieving, but believe.”Then Thomas touched
him. All his defiance fell away and, filled with sincere faith and all the love owing to God, he cried out: “My Lord and my God!” And the Lord said to him: “You have believed because you have seen me. Blessed are those who
have not seen and yet believe! Thomas, take the new of my resurrection to those who have not seen. Lead the whole world to belief, not at the evidence of its eyes but at your word. Go through peoples and pagan cities. Teach them to the carry the cross on their shoulders, not weapons... Tell them they are called by grace and, as for you, consider their faith: truly,
happy are those who have not seen and yet believe!”Such is the army the Lord has raised; these are the children of the baptismal pool, the works of grace, the harvest of the Spirit. They have followed Christ without having
seen him; they sought and they believed. They recognised with the eyes of faith, not of the body. They have not placed their fingers in the marks of the nails but have been fastened to his cross and embraced his sufferings.
They have not seen the Lord's side but, through grace, have been made one with his members and have made their own these words of the Lord: “Happy
are those who have not seen and have believed!”
-Saint Basil of Seleucia (?-c.468), bishop
Sermon for the Resurrection, 1-4
From www.dailygospel.org

Popular Posts