Aug. 20, 2013 Tuesday: St. Bernard of Clairvaux

I will love you, O Lord my strength,
my stony rock and my defense,
my savior, my one desire and love.
I will love you
with all the power you have given me–
not as much as you deserve to be loved,
for that can never be,
but as much as I am able to.
The more power to love you give me,
the more I will love you;
yet never, never can I love you
as much as you should be loved. Amen.
— St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Why is Jesus so cautious about wealth? Wealth can make us falsely independent. The church at Laodicea was warned about their attitude towards wealth and a false sense of security: "For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing" (Revelations 3:17). Wealth can also lead us into hurtful desires and selfishness (see 1 Timothy 6:9-10). Look at the lesson Jesus gave about the rich man and his sons who refused to aid the poor man Lazarus (see Luke 16:19ff). They also neglected to serve God. The Scriptures give us a paradox: we lose what we keep and we gain what we give away. Generosity will be amply repaid, both in this life and in eternity (Proverbs 3:9-10, Luke 6:38). Jesus offers us an incomparable treasure which no money can buy and no thief can steal. The thing we most set our heart on is our highest treasure. Material wealth will shackle us to this earth unless we guard our hearts and set our treasure in God and his everlasting kingdom. Where is your treasure?

"Lord Jesus, you have captured our hearts and opened to us the treasures of heaven. May you always be my treasure and delight and may nothing else keep me from giving you my all."

Don Schwager, www.dailyscripture.net

Popular Posts