Aug. 4, 2013: 18th Sunday in Ordinary C

Have you ever done dumpster diving? When my parents first immigrated to Texas, they wanted to save as much money as they could because their future was uncertain, as they could not find work. Even in the triple digit Texas heat, we didn’t turn on the A/C in the apartment; we used box fans instead. We didn’t have beds or furniture, other than a small dining table that they bought for $200 at a flea market. One day, a friend of my parents told us that there was a decent dresser in a dumpster nearby their apartment. My dad and I went and retrieved it from the dumpster, and then we used it for at least five years. My sister and I fully understood what our parents had to do to survive. I’m sure others thought that we were miserable without the many material possessions of most households, but we were happy and didn’t feel deprived.

I know some of you shared with me that when you were growing up, that a family of six or more lived in a small, one bathroom house without air conditioning. Back then, you ate vegetables from the garden, meat from the animals raised in the backyard, wore hand-me-down clothes, and shared everything with your siblings. Did you ever feel sad and or deprived? Did you turn out okay?

How much “stuff” is enough in our lives? When do we finally say, ‘Okay, I have enough nice things, I don’t need to work overtime to acquire more. Let me enjoy what I have and enjoy my time with my family?’ Although all of us are capable of living simply, all of us struggle with the desire to chase after bigger, better, finer things in life. When I meet with newly-engaged couples for marriage preparation, I ask this question, “What is the number one reason why couples separate or divorce within five years of their marriage?” The answer is money. Two young adults with the desire for too big of a house, finer things in life, and costly vacations all lead to strain and stress in dealing with the aftermath of overspending. They work overtime to pay for their lifestyle and their marriage suffers; less communication, less affection, more bickering, nagging, and arguments lead the couple to conclude, ‘We are not in love anymore.’

The desire for possessions exercises a big hold on our hearts, even for us Christians. So many of us dream some day of being rich -- to be able to buy all the things we would love to have, to be able to travel, to have no worries. There is a belief that once we have financial security, all our problems will be solved: housing, children’s education, cars and other desirable luxuries, retirement and old age. Wealth, it is believed, is a sign of “success” though it is not quite clear where the “success” really lies. The result is that we forget the more important things in life. Jesus said in today’s Gospel that our main concern should be to ‘make ourselves rich in the sight of God’ and not of the world.

St. Paul explains it this way, “Brothers and sisters: seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Think of what is above, not of what is on earth.” What is the purpose of our existence here on earth? “To know, to love, and to serve God and to attain our salvation - eternal happiness”. How often do we forget this? Plenty of time. Jesus tells us that to accomplish the purpose of our existence is to use all created things only as means and not to chase after them as goals.

We see each day in the news and in our family and friends that over achieving for financial security does not always result in happiness or the end of troubles and worries. I often tell couples or individuals who are struggling with financial issues or hurtful situations that they would benefit from giving up the quest for possessions and lifestyle beyond their means, and instead turn to deepening their spiritual life. We are ready to buy something that we can see, touch, and get hold of that gives us temporary satisfaction. But something intangible, such as spending quiet time talking to Jesus, we do not see or comprehend the immediate benefit. But what do we have to lose? Praying does not cost money. Reading scripture daily does not cost a cent.

This week I came across across a beautiful prayer by St. Alphonsus Liguori. I hope that all of us can pray this prayer to bring right priority in our lives.
O God, help me to remember that time is short, eternity is long.
What good is all the greatness of this world at the hour of death?
To love you, my God, and save my soul is the one thing necessary.
Without you, there is no peace, no joy. My God, I need fear nothing but sin.
For to lose you, my God, is to lose all. O God, help me to remember
that to gain all I must leave all, that in loving you I have all good things:
the infinite riches of Christ and his Church, the motherly protection of Mary,
peace beyond understanding, joy unspeakable! Amen.

Popular Posts