Dec. 13, 2013 Friday: 2nd Week of Advent A

Jesus’ parable about disappointed playmates challenge us to examine whether we are selective to only hear what we want to hear. The children in Jesus' parable react with dismay because they cannot get anyone to follow their instruction. They complain that if they play their music at weddings, no one will dance or sing; and if they play at funerals, it is the same. This refrain echoes the words of Ecclesiastes 3:4 – "there is a time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance." Are you in tune with the message of God's kingdom? And do you obey it without reservation? Jesus' message of the kingdom of God is good news to those who will listen and it produces true joy and spiritual freedom for them; but it is also a warning for those who refuse to obey.

-Don Schwager, www.dailyscripture.net

We played the flute for you, but you did not dance, we played a dirge but you did not mourn.

Jesus, I know just whom you’re talking about.
There’s a lot of them in my parish.
I work with a lot of them,
and sometimes I work for them.

No matter what you do, they’re never happy.
There’s always a “yeah, but…”
attached to any statement.

Jesus, you sound a little frustrated
in today’s gospel.
I understand.
They frustrate me too.

Please help me to gain the wisdom
and the patience to deal with the
never-satisfieds.

Help me to take valid criticism well,
but not let the “yeah, but…” crowd
pull me down.

And Jesus, if I can be honest with you,
I suspect I can sometimes be like this too.

Help me to see when I am like that.
Forgive me, and help me do better.

When called to offer a critique,
let me do so with kindness.
But make me think at least twice
when I feel like complaining.
Help me spend more time building up
than tearing down.
Let me never be naĂŻve,
but it wouldn’t hurt me to focus more
on the good in people.

And with your help, Jesus,
I will try to do that today.


www.livingwithchrist.us

Popular Posts