Jan. 14, 2016 Thursday: 1st Week of Ordinary Time C

Jan. 14, 2016 Thursday: 1st Week of Ordinary Time C

God, I feel lost


In my prayer I imagine myself lost in a forest, a desert or some other appropriate metaphor for my current situation. I call out to Christ, using the mantra, “Find me, Lord” or “Lead me home, Lord.” I ask the Lord to reveal to me what things I might learn while in this state of being lost. How might the Lord use this as an opportunity to save me, teach me, heal me, nurture me and so on?

Often I am lost because I’m too stubborn to ask for help from others. I should pray over the questions, “Am I lost because I’m trying too hard to go it alone? Who might be helpful to me right now? What’s keeping me from asking for help?”

Often we feel lost when we cannot articulate what exactly is our destination. I should spend some time with my prayer journal, asking God to help me compose a series of mission statements that become increasingly more concrete and particular. For example, I might start with, “My mission is to live my life according to God’s will.” I might spend a whole prayer time on that one statement. Then, the next day, I might write, “My mission is to be a good mother to my children.” Then, later, “My mission is to help my seventeen-year-old to adopt a mature attitude about alcohol.” And still later, “My mission right now is to talk to my son, heart-to-heart.” I should proceed in this way until I have to a concrete plan with which to act.

-Fr. Mark E. Thibodeaux
God, I have issues : 50 ways to pray no matter how you feel

Popular Posts