Oct. 27, 2017 Friday: 29th Week in Ordinary Time

Oct. 27, 2017 Friday: 29th Week in Ordinary Time

[Rom 7:18-25a and Luke 12:54-59]
"For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self, but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Miserable one that I am! Who will deliver me from this mortal body? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord." [Romans]

By Fr. R. B. Williams. O.P.

     Have you ever felt at war with yourself?  Have you ever asked yourself, "Why did I do that?  That's not me at all!"  If so, you may be in good company.  Today's passage from St. Paul's Letter to the Romans shows us a man who could be in conflict with himself.  

     Perhaps the most dramatic form of this conflict could be found in any kind of addiction, but this is not the only form.  A lesser form could be in the "want/need" dilemma when we are attracted to some consumer item and deal with the temptation to spend.  "Do I really need this item?  Or do I just WANT it?"  The advertising industry is betting on your answer to that question!  In short, St. Paul is putting his finger on the fundamental challenge of temptation!

     For St. Paul, the conflict is not between physical and spiritual, i.e. between soul and body..  It is the conflict within the person of faith who recognizes that even a believer in Christ can be tempted to act contrary to that belief.  It is only God's mercy that enables us to continue to rise when we fall and try to do better.  If the problem is a true addiction, there is considerable help available in the form of Twelve Step programs.  In the ordinary temptations of life, there is prayer and the wisdom of Christianity lived for more than 2000 years, provided we are willing to accept it as our guide. God is not standing on the side of the pool to see if we sink or swim.  But we must do our part to stay afloat!  


http://www.preacherexchange.com/dailyreflections.htm

Popular Posts