Dec. 16, 2018: 3rd Sunday Advent C

Dec. 16, 2018: 3rd Sunday Advent C
Here is a simple wisdom that a person shared with me some number of years ago; ‘don’t ask questions if you don’t want to hear the answers.’ When I was about to graduate college, I attended a vocations retreat at Holy Trinity Seminary in Dallas, the very seminary that our Bishop Michael Duca was the rector a number of years ago. On the last day of the retreat, praying in the chapel, I wrote down on a piece of a paper, “Lord, what do you want me to do with my life? I will do what you want me to do.” Later that day I went to my parents in Plano and informed them that I was thinking about entering seminary. My parents vehemently opposed the very idea; they counter-proposed; work three years, and if you still want to enter seminary, we won’t stop you. I didn’t like the answer at the time, but eventually as I continued to date a girl I had met at the university in Austin, I forgot about the question I had written down at the retreat at Holy Trinity Seminary. Three years later, on a pilgrimage to Medjugorje, the very question on that piece of paper came back to my mind, “Lord, what do you want me to do with my life? Marriage or priesthood?” Was I willing and prepared to carry out the answer I received? By that time, I was willing, with the help of Blessed Mother.

What should we do with our life? Are we prepared to do what God is asking us to do? What if we don’t like the answer from God? If God asks us to change the direction of our life, eliminate sinful habits, or change vocation, are we willing and prepared to change? John the Baptist is asked by the crowd gathered around him, “What should we do?” His answer is stark: repent; put aside theft, extortion, and greed so that the Messiah will not count you as the chaff that will be burned with unquenchable fire. John is calling us to return to holiness so that we may recognize Christ when He comes. I’m always impressed by the love and generosity in our community. However, if we think that we have done all that we can do to prepare our hearts where Christ longs to dwell, I assure you that we can and must do more.  “What is it that we still need to do?” Look within our families, around the community, at your classmates, and the workplace. Is there tension because of my resentment, envy or jealousy? Am I patient with the elderly neighbor? Do I go to the aid of a classmate who is bullied? Do I hoard my wealth or share with the poor?

Don’t let this Advent  be just another shopping season or filled with parties.  Let us use this time to pray and prepare our hearts that we may become like  John the Baptist who made his life a living testimony of Christ. May we rejoice that God has chosen us to be joyful messengers of Christ.

Popular Posts