Mar. 2, 2016 Wednesday: 3rd Week of Lent

Mar. 2, 2016 Wednesday: 3rd Week of Lent

Be earnestly on your guard not to forget the things which your own eyes have seen, nor let them slip from your memory as long as you live, but teach them to your children and to your children’s children. Deuteronomy 4: 9


Parents are known to give their children wise advice. For example, “Do what you love, and the money will follow” or “The early bird catches the worm” and “Well begun is half done.” “All I remember my mom ever saying is,” said one man, “Don’t fill up on bread.”

What are you giving your children and grandchildren? Is it merely the latest electronic game or digital device? What values and virtues are you hoping they will emulate? In our desire to give comfort to our children, we may have forgotten to give them what really matters. If we are filling them up on bread, they have no room for what will really sustain them. Faith is a gift from God, and consequently you and I can’t give it. But we can foster it. We can teach children to pray. We can show the importance of a faith-filled life by our actions: our concern for the poor, faithfulness to Sunday Mass, our prayer life. By sharing our faith, we nourish their faith. This is what God wants us to give our children.

PRAYER
Dear Lord, sometimes I forget what is most important. important. Whether I am parent or not, may I be mindful that I influence others. Help me, Lord, this Lent to live a life that points to you.

-Fr. Thomas Connery, Traveling Light

Popular Posts