March 17, 2016 Thursday: 5th Week of Lent

March 17, 2016 Thursday: 5th Week of Lent

God also said to Abraham: “On your part you and your descendants after you must keep my covenant throughout the ages.” –Genesis 17: 9

When Christian Herter was governor of Massachusetts, he was running hard for a second term in office. One day, after a busy morning chasing votes (without lunch), he arrived at a church barbecue late in the afternoon. Famished, Herter moved down the serving line and held out his plate to the woman serving chicken. She put a piece on his plate and turned to the next person in line.

“Excuse me,” Governor Herter said, “do you mind if I have another piece of chicken?” “Sorry,” the woman told him. “I’m supposed to give one piece of chicken to each person.” “But I’m starved,” the governor said. “Sorry,” the woman said again. “Only one to a customer.”

Governor Herter was a modest and unassuming man, but he decided that this time he would throw a little weight around. “Do you know who I am?” he said. “I am the governor of this state.” “Do you know who I am?” the woman replied. “I’m the lady in charge of the chicken. Move along, mister”.

Sometimes we forget who God is. He is our maker, and we are his creatures subject to him. From his abundant love and mercy, he extends a covenant to us, a covenant that began with Abraham. This covenant is not a burden or cross to bear. We follow him and God promises that he will not abandon us. Following the covenant requires a certain amount of humility. We recognize that we are subject to God and must obey him. But it is in humility that we find our peace.

Father, through Abraham you have offered a covenant to us. We are uniquely connected to you. You are no distant God, but a God who walks with us. Grant me the grace to walk humbly and obediently with you. Amen.

-Fr. Thomas Connery, Lent Little by Little

Popular Posts