March 16, 2016 Wednesday: 5th Week of Lent

March 16, 2016 Wednesday: 5th Week of Lent

Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego… they disobeyed the royal command and yielded their bodies rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. –Daniel 3: 95

A construction crew was building a new road through a rural area, knocking down trees as it progressed. The superintendant noticed that one tree had a nest of birds who could not yet fly. Despite the tight time schedule, he marked the tree so that it would not be cut down.

Several weeks later the superintendent came back to the tree. He got into a bucket truck and was lifted up so that he could peer into the nest. The fledglings were all gone. They obviously learned how to fly, so he gave the order to knock down the tree. As the tree crashed to the ground the nest fell clear and some of the material that the birds had gathered was scattered about the ground. One part of it was a scrap torn from a Sunday school pamphlet. On the scrap of paper were these words “He careth for you” (Bits and Pieces).

God cares for you. Do you believe it? Do you believe it even when you are tested and are going through trials and challenges? Even in your most trying moments, know that God cares for you, just as he cared for Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. They willingly went into flames trusting in God’s care. He delivered them, but even if they were to perish, they knew they were still in God’s hands. God was first in their life. He cared for them, and he cares for you.

Father, I want to trust you in all things and in all situations. I admit I sometimes doubt your care when life becomes unmanageable. I want to serve and follow you. I know if I remain with you, you will remain with me. May I be safe and secure in your love for me. Amen.

In my trials, do I trust in God’s care for me?

Fr. Thomas Connery, Lent Little by Little

Popular Posts