June 7, 2015: The Most Holy Body and Blood of Jesus, Corpus Christi

June 7, 2015: The Most Holy Body and Blood of Jesus, Corpus Christi

(By Pope Francis)
If we look around us, we realize that there are so many offers of food that do not come from the Lord and which seem to satisfy more. Some nourish themselves with money, others with success and vanity, others with power and pride. However, the food that really nourishes us and satiates us is only that which the Lord gives us! The food the Lord offers us is different from the others, and perhaps it does not seem as tasty as certain foods which the world offers us. Then we dream of other meals, as the Jews did in the desert, who mourned for the meat and the onions they ate in Egypt, but they forgot that they ate these meals at the table of slavery. In that moment of temptation, they remembered, but their memory was sick, it was a selective memory – a slave memory, not free.

Today, each one of us can ask himself: and I? Where do I want to eat? At what table do I want to nourish myself? At the Lord’s table? Or do I dream of easting tasty foods, but in slavery? Moreover, each one of us can ask himself: what is my memory? That of the Lord who saves me, or that of the garlic and onions of slavery? With what memory do I satiate my soul?

The Father says to us: “I fed you with manna that you did not know.” We must recover the memory. This is the task, to recover the memory, to  learn to recognize the false bread that deludes and corrupts, because it is the fruit of egoism, of self-sufficiency and of sin.

Popular Posts